I have been trying out a couple of new ideas for fresh and healthy suppers whilst the weather has been so hot. During the summer months I normally resort to green salads with bread and cheese or cured meats as they are so easy to make. However, as a friend of mine was coming over to celebrate her recent engagement I wanted to cook something a little bit more impressive than just a salad…
At the moment the markets around me are full of ripe mangoes and avocados so I thought I would buy some and make a sweet and tangy salsa. Provided you have a food processor this salsa can be made in a matter of minutes. If you don’t have a food processor then dice the ingredients to make a slightly chunkier version of the salsa that will be equally as delicious.
For the rice salad, I used leftover rice that I had cooked for supper the previous day and then added a combination of vegetables that are all in season at the moment which meant the salad was packed full of flavour and different textures. The salad was incredibly fresh and complimented the delicacy of the salmon.
Whilst I enjoyed the combination of the rice salad, salsa and fish I would recommend trying the salsa with grilled chicken and/or tortilla chips and the rice salad would be a good and slightly different side dish at a picnic or BBQ so it worthwhile giving a go.
Mango and Avocado Salsa
- ½ a red onion
- 1 avocado (peeled and stoned)
- 1 ripe mango (peeled and stoned)
- ½ -1 chilli (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 small handful of fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lemon
- Place the red onion and chilli in a food processer and blitz until they are finely chopped.
- Then add the avocado, mango, coriander and blitz in the food processor till smooth.
- Pour the mixture out of the food processor into a bowl and stir in the lime juice, lemon juice and coriander season as necessary then decant into another bowl for serving.
Note: If the salsa is kept covered it will keep in the fridge for a few days.
Rice Salad (serves 2-3)
- 150g pre-cooked basmati rice
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes (finely diced)
- 3-4 radishes (finely diced)
- 2” cucumber (finely diced)
- 1 avocado (finely diced)
- 2tbsp fresh coriander (chopped)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, season well and serve.
Salmon Fillet (Serves 2)
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Place olive oil in a frying pan and heat on a medium temperature.
- Add the salmon fillets (skin side down)
- Season the salmon and sprinkle over a little paprika.
- Cover the frying pan with a lid, turn the temperature down slightly and cook for 7-10 minutes (or until the salmon is cooked). Serve on a bed of rice salad with a little of the salsa on top. Enjoy!