My day always kicks off with a strong cup of coffee, it is my one vice that I simply can’t do without. I love the ritual of making it, packing the coffee grounds into my percolator and then waiting the five minutes for it to brew whilst the blissful aroma fills my kitchen. The only downside is that I have a tendency to gulp the coffee down in a matter of minutes before dashing out of the door to catch the train to work.
At the weekend when time is not of the essence a lazy brunch with lots of coffee is how I like to start my day before heading out to walk Oscar up on Wimbledon Common. The recipe below is a fantastic brunch option that is very simple to make and absolutely scrummy. If you are efficient it can be prepped and on your plate in under 10 minutes.
The key to this recipe is not over cooking your poached eggs so that the yolk is still runny when you cut into it and creates a beautifully rich sauce. In essence poaching an egg is very straight forward, however sometimes it takes a couple of tries to work out the timings. My tip for poaching an egg is to put a ¼ teaspoon of vinegar in the poaching water and make sure that the water is simmering whilst the egg is cooking not boiling.
This is a fantastic recipe full of vibrant colours that is a great way to start your weekend. Enjoy!
Avocado, smoked salmon with poached eggs on sourdough
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 100g smoked salmon
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- ¼ tsp vinegar
- 1 lemon
- Toast the sourdough bread and lightly butter.
- Prepare you avocado by removing the stone and carefully removing from its skin before cutting into thin slices. Place half an avocado onto each slice of sourdough.
- Place a slice of smoked salmon on top of the avocado.
- Prepare your poached eggs: add the vinegar to a pan of steadily simmering water.
- Crack eggs individually into a small bowl before slowly adding to the pan of water, leave to cook for three minutes before removing with a slotted spoon and placing on a piece of kitchen paper to drain before placing an egg on top of each slice of toast.
- Season with black pepper before serving with a wedge of lemon on the side.