I have been playing around in the kitchen making fresh pasta over the last couple of weeks. Making pasta can be hit or miss if you don’t get the consistency of the dough right, if the dough is too supple it will break up when it comes to rolling or will not hold its form when you cut it into tagliatelle or spaghetti. What you are looking for is a firm dough that is firm and elastic. As with many things practise makes perfect and once you get used to recognising when the dough has the right consistency it is very straightforward and fun to make. I am going to share how to make fresh pasta in a separate blog in the upcoming weeks breaking it down into a helpful guide so that hopefully you can avoid making the same mistakes I did when I was learning.
The recipe below is very simple and can be prepared in a matter of minutes. It is a vibrant dish due to the colour of the ingredients that you use. The key to making this recipe shine is buy the best quality tomatoes and mozzarella that you can afford as this will take this dish from being good to great! If you can get a combination of tomatoes preferably a combination of yellow and red that are ripe and packed full of flavour that would be ideal. This is a great mid-week recipe to have on hand if you are having friends over, it is incredibly easy and packed full of the flavours of summertime. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 500g fresh Tagliatelle pasta
- 150g lardons or pancetta
- 2 buffalo mozzarella balls
- 6 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 24 mixed cherry tomatoes (cut into quarters)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- extra virgin olive oil
- Place the lardons in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Prepare your pasta according to its instructions until the pasta is al dente.
- Whilst your pasta is cooking, add the spring onions and tomatoes to frying pan and cook on a low heat until your pasta ready.
- Drain the pasta once cooked and either add the pasta to the frying pan or decant both the pasta and contents of the frying pan into a large bowl. Pour over some extra virgin olive oil and mix together.
- Finally, tear the mozzarella into small pieces and add to the pasta with the parsley. Season with a little black pepper and serve. Enjoy!