I visited Jordan a few months ago and have been hugely influenced by the food that I ate whilst I was out there. The style of eating is typically mezze with lots of little plates not dissimilar to tapas, which are often served with delicious salads that are dressed with pomegranate molasses and olive oil which both tantalises the palate and is refreshing all at once. I would highly recommend trying to get your hands on some pomegranate molasses if you can to give it a try, the flavour is both sharp and sweet – which really enhances any salad, especially if you also add a few pomegranate seeds, chopped coriander and crumble over some feta.
The lamb burger recipe below is the perfect accompaniment to this type of salad. The burger has quite a delicate flavour with just a hint of mint. The recipe below can easily stretch to 6 burgers or will make 4 large burgers. They are a great option for a barbecue, or if the weather isn’t playing ball work just as well in a griddle pan and on the plus side they are very quick to make.
I would recommend serving these burgers with hummus (see below for a quick and easy recipe that takes no more than a couple of minutes to prepare), a few toasted pittas and a salad. Enjoy!
Serves : 4-6
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped mint
- 1 egg
- 50g breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Using your hands, combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Once the mixture is well mixed together, divide the mix into 4-6 balls.
- Flatten each of the balls into a burger shape. (I would recommend chilling the burgers in the fridge for 20-30 minutes, if you have the time).
- Cook the burgers on a hot griddle for roughly 4 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Quick and easy hummus
Preparation: 5 minutes
- 1 can (400g) of chickpeas (drained)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled)
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp paprika
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- 3-5tbsp olive oil
- salt for seasoning.
- Place the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, paprika, juice of 1 lemon and 3 tbsp olive oil in a food processor. Blitz together until smooth.
- Taste and add more lemon, olive oil and salt as necessary.