Quiche is a very handy recipe to be able to fall back on if you have friends coming for lunch and don’t want to worry about timings, as it can be served hot or cold and is always delicious. They also are a good option for vegetarians as you can pack them with lots of yummy vegetables and cheeses.
I think a lot of people avoid making quiches as they don’t want to bother with the faff of making and rolling pastry. Well my solution to that is buy ready-made pastry to save you the hassle. My parents who live out in France always use pre-rolled puff pastry which works incredibly well and you don’t have to blind bake it – reducing the preparation time to 30 minutes.
Personally I find the process of making pastry relatively therapeutic especially when you do it by hand. But I also fully appreciate that it is not for everyone so just do what works for you whether it be making the pastry in a food processor, by hand or simply buying it pre-made.
This quiche recipe is perfect for this time of year with the asparagus being in season. It is a nice light option for lunch served with a big green salad – ideal for these warm summer days that we are starting to get. Enjoy!
Roasted red pepper, asparagus and goat’s cheese quiche
Preparation time: 1.5hrs
For the pastry:
- 4oz butter
- 8oz plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2-3tbsp water
For the filling:
- 1 sweet bell pepper
- 5 asparagus stalks
- 125g soft goats cheese
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 eggs
- 2 heaped tbsp crème fraiche
- 20g parmesan (grated)
- Preheat oven to 190°C Fan.
- Grease and flour a 20cm loose bottomed tart tin.
- Place butter and flour in a bowl and crumb together using your fingers.
- Add the water and bring the pastry together, be careful not to over work it. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface roll out the pastry until it is large enough to fit in your tin, place in the tin and gently push the pastry into the edges and using any excess pastry to patch any holes (make sure you don’t cut off any excess pastry that goes over the edge of the tin). Lightly prick the pastry with a fork, place a sheet of baking paper over the pastry and fill with baking beans to weigh the pastry down whilst cooking
- Blind bake pastry for 20 mins.
Remove from oven, lift out the baking paper containing the baking beans and set to one side until you are ready to fill.
- Prepare your red pepper, halve lengthways down the middle and de-seed. Place skin-side up under a hot grill and cook for 10-15 mins until the skin is black and blistered. Remove from grill and place in a sealed container (e.g. Tupperware). Once it is cool enough to handle peel off the skin and slice into strips roughly 2” in length.
- Soften the onions in a frying pan with the thyme.
- Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the tough ends.
- Cut the goats cheese into 6 rounds.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and the crème fraiche and season.
Prepare the quiche:
- Place the onions and thyme on the base of the pastry, add the red pepper, asparagus, and goat’s cheese.
- Pour over the egg mixture and sprinkle over the parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 190°C Fan for 25 minutes, until golden brown.