A few years ago I dropped in on Jones and her parents in Shropshire and I was treated to Papa Jones’ chilli beef burgers and they were pretty special. Last week I thought I would see if I could recreate them, given that we had an abundance of burger buns in the freezer.
Making burgers is incredibly straight forward and can be made and cooked within 15 minutes, so a perfect option if you are looking for a simple supper. You can ‘jazz up’ your burger by adding Stilton and tomato relish which is my preference, or you could go for a combination of, cheese slices, fresh tomato, bacon, mustard, lettuce, etc. The options are endless…
With BBQ season coming up quick and fast these burgers are a great option and can be made up well in advance and will keep in the fridge if covered in cling film for a couple of days. This is definitely a recipe to try. Enjoy!
Chili Beef Burgers (makes 6)
- 400g minced beef
- ½ red onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 birds eye chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 egg
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together well (it is much better done with your hands).
- Shape the mixture into 6 equal sized balls.
- Heat a little oil in a heavy based frying pan. Place the meat balls in the pan, using either your hand or a spatula to flatten out your burgers, till they are roughly ¾ of an inch thick.
- Cook your burgers for roughly 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve, in a burger bun with a side salad.
Tip: If you are going to serve your burger with cheese, just before removing the burger from the pan place the cheese on top of your burgers so that it melts slightly.