It has been a while since my last blog, but I am slowly getting into the rhythm of London. I had forgotten what London is like, particularly if you are a cyclist! I bought my road bike when I was last living in London and used to enjoy commuting on it as it guaranteed I got a good dose of fresh air. However, I had forgotten how busy the roads can be and now more often than not find myself holding my breath and staying as close to the curb as possible every time a huge lorry or bus rattles past me – a stark contrast to the country roads of France which I had all to myself…
I had also forgotten how little time there is to cook when you live here as so often the evenings are filled with seeing friends or going to the gym etc. Consequently being able to rustle up a quick supper that is fairly healthy is an absolute necessity. The meal below is one such example as it shouldn’t take more than 15-20 minutes to make. The leeks and beans make sure that you have a proper amount of vegetables and add a nice variety of textures to the dish. The sauce is not overly creamy and complements the vegetables and turkey bringing the whole dish together. I would tend to serve this dish with plain rice, however boiled potatoes or a jacket potato would make a nice alternative.
Turkey in a creamy sauce with leeks and green beans
- 400g turkey breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 leeks (washed and cut into 1cm circles)
- 1 large handful of green beans (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 50g cream cheese (roughly 1 heaped tbsp)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 handful of flour
- 50-100ml water
1. Combine the flour, seasoning and crumble the stock cube into a bowl, add the turkey pieces and mix until the meat is coated with flour.
2. Heat some oil in a frying pan, then add the meat and brown off.
3. After about 5-10 minutes add some water a little at a time stirring continuously until you have a sauce the consistency of gravy.
4. Add the leeks and beans, cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the leeks have softened.
5. Just before you are ready to serve, add the cream cheese and season as needed.
6. Serve on a bed of plain rice or with a few boiled potatoes.