After all the rich food that I have been ‘blogging’ about lately I felt it was about time to do something a little healthier… This recipe is a great starter that looks good and takes about 5-10 minutes to prepare. The chicory/endive gives the salad slightly sharp taste and a nice crunchy texture, whilst the warmed and slightly caramelised pear counters that sharpness adding sweet undertones. There is not much else that can be said about this dish other than give it a go…
Warm Salad with Pear and Parma Ham (Serves 4)
- 2 pears (sliced lengthways roughly 3mm in thickness)
- 8 slices of Parma ham
- 3 spears of chicory/endive (finely sliced)
- knob of butter
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- pepper (to season)
1. Place the butter and oil in a frying pan and heat.
2. Once the butter has melted add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
3. Add the pears to the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning them over after about a minute.
4. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a further minute stirring gently being careful not to break up the pears.
5. Then plate up – place chicory at bottom of each plate, add the pears, drape over two slices of Parma ham and drizzle over the juices from the pan.
6. Finally season with a little pepper and serve.