Last year my parents garden was inundated with so many tomatoes that we didn’t know what to do with them. After eating many a tomato salad, turning kilos of tomatoes into passata for use in pastas or on pizzas, I wondered how our tomatoes would taste in a soup. I was a little dubious at the outset as I have tried a number of tomato soup recipes in the past and not really enjoyed them, subsequently I used to resort to Heinz tomato soup as it was always dependable.
Anyway after roaming various sites looking for ideas I finally concluded that I would be better off just trying out an idea I had and seeing how it would work out…
So here it is –
Spicy Roast Tomato Soup Recipe:
- 8-9 Large Tomatoes
- 3tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 Rosemary Sprigs
- 2 Onions (finely diced)
- 1 garlic clove (finely diced)
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 1tsp thyme
- 1-2tsp ground black pepper (according to taste)
- 3tsp honey
- 150 ml chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- Few drops of hot pepper sauce
Serve with the following topping to cool the heat from the spices in the soup:
- 3tbsp crème fraiche
- 5-6 stalks fresh chives (chopped)
- Sprinkling of paprika
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Put tomatoes in oven proof dish, drizzle over olive oil, season and add rosemary, cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool.
- Once cool, remove rosemary, peel and remove the core from tomatoes.
- In a large sauce pan heat some olive oil, add brown sugar, onions and garlic and cook till soft.
- Add the paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme and stir.
- Tip in the tomatoes allow to heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the honey, black pepper and stock and allow to simmer for 10/15 minutes.
- Finally add the hot pepper sauce, allow to cool slightly before blending with a liquidiser.
- Serve the soup warm accompanied with the crème fraiche topping which you mix together in a small pot before serving.
Note: I found that this soup froze very well, which means it is perfect to make up in big quantities so that it can be stored away for those chilly winter days.